Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Race for the Cure

Team Kari

Emma, Carter, Olivia, Lauren, Kari and Ernie Filion.

Kari and Ernie during the suvivors parade.

I have a lot more pictures that I will post in a slide show soon!

Saturday, May 9, 2009
Today was the Race for the Cure. This was our first year at the race and we didn't know what to expect. We had several family and friends of Kari sign-up for our Team Kari race team. Kari (my sister) has been battling Breast Cancer since May 2007 and she is doing great! We had a great time together. The race started at 8:30am and we met as a team at 7:30 for a team photo. The race was a 5K walk and there were over 18,000 people at the race, it was really crowded but fun to see all of these people who had been affect by breast cancer is some way, with a mom, sister, friend or even themselves having the disease. It took our team 1 hour 13 minutes and 54 seconds to complete the race. The goal of the race is not who is the fastest, but just to finish the race is a triumph! As you can see from the pictures there were people still close to the beginning of the race, just a some of the runners were finishing the race, due to the vast number of racers. It was a humbling experience. After the race was finished all of the survivors lined up for the Survivors Parade. They walked down through the Gateway according to the number of years they were a survivor. They finished the parade on the steps of the Gateway where they had a group photo and a short program where they let a bunch of doves go as a symbol of hope for a cure to come and for those who had passed. The parade was a little bit emotional to see the women that had beat breast cancer for several years to those who were still battling the disease. We are going to make this an annual event, so come and join us next year for this great cause to help beat Breast Cancer!!
Print Page

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

It was such a FUN day!! One of my friends that I was running with is a survivor since she was 16.... It was an emotional run... I loved all the fun T-shirts, my 2 favorites were the ones that said, "Save 2nd base", and "Of course their fake, the real ones tried to kill me!" I wish we could've been apart of "Team Kari" hopefully next year!!

Jenie said...

I'm so sad I missed it! Maybe next year. Cute, cute pictures and Kari looks so pretty....I cried just looking at the pictures; can't imagine being there. I'm glad Stacy sent me a link to your blog. I'll keep checking up on you. I'm pathetic and still trying to catch up from Christmas on our blog; you've inspired to live in the now! :) Looks like a great team and what a fun day!

crazycranefamily said...

That is such an awesome thing to do! I definitely want to participate in it next year. Any kind of cancer scares me, and anything I can do to help beat it is something I need to do. GOOD JOB!

Miriam said...

That is totally inspiring. What a great experience in supporting such a great woman like Kari!!

handsx3 said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures, I got a little emotional just looking at them. I would love to be a part of Team Kari Next year!