Monday, November 30, 2009

Ever Wonder Where Road Salt Comes From?

November 30, 2009
Today Jared (my brother) took Tracy, Cari and I on a road trip to see Broken Arrow's Salt operation. All three of us have worked at Broken Arrow for years now and none of us had been to see the operations for quite some time so we all wanted to see how it all worked and so we could sound intelligent when talking to customers on the phone and to be able to direct truck drivers to the sites.  The salt we sells is the salt you see the big orange snow plow trucks putting on the road during a snow storm and what you get on your car.  (I know you can tell me THANKS for having to wash your car if you would like)  Most if not all of the salt that goes onto the roads in Tooele County and the Wasatch front is compliments of our operations just north west of Grantsville.  Here a a few pictures I took of our adventure today.  It is quite the process before it makes it onto the roads. 


Approaching the salt piles from the road.

One of the piles.  It looks like snow when you are driving on it.
It sparkles in the sun, just like Edward!
But I'm a Jacob Fan.

Loading the salt onto the conveyor belt.

The finished product coming off the conveyor belt.

After the salt is sized and sprayed with a chemical called YPS to help it not to clump and freeze it is loaded into trucks and hauled to various UDOT and County Sheds in the State.  Some of the salt is also loaded onto railcars and shipped to various places in the USA.

Loading conveyor for railcars.

This is a loader putting salt into a conveyor system and loading railcars to be shipped somewhere in the USA.


This is a life long family friend Dennis McBeth who oversees the salt operations at the ponds site.

4 comments:

Mallory said...

That is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing pictures!

Miriam said...

That is very impressive, I will think of you when I wash my car :)

Tiffany said...

That is pretty impressive!! You are hilarious, I'm totally team Edward, except for I could sit and look at Jacob ALL DAY!! HOT HOT HOTTIE!!

crazycranefamily said...

I had never wondered this before, but now I am going to tell my kids all about it!
Thats awesome that you guys help save so many lives with the salt (look at it that way instead of having to wash the car!)